The student news site of Collierville High School

The Dragon Spirit

Prom 2016

Stacey Davenport, Staff Writer

It’s that time of the year again. Time to start looking for fancy, over-priced gowns, scheduling hair appointments, and scouting out potential dates. Ladies and gentlemen, it’s prom season. As horrific as this event may be to most, for some it is the coveted crowning jewel of their high school career. So, in order to help prepare you, I will endow you with some of my senior high school girl prom knowledge.

To start things off, if you really care about standing out and looking “bombin” as the kids these days call it, you want to start dress shopping if you haven’t already. If you’re budget is tight, stick to Dillard’s and Macy’s. Even though $100 – $200 may seem expensive, it’s nothing compared to the couture-y prom dress stores. However, be aware that if you do end up getting your dress at one of these places, you’ll probably see a duplicate when you get to the dance. If you’re going all out this year and plan on spending an upward of $300 on your dress, Lula’s and Ballew Bridal might be where you find yourself. If so, keep in mind that many times these stores do not have duplicates of the same dress. If it’s not in your size, there is a possibility they can order it. However, ordering takes approximately five to seven business days and alterations are usually necessary. If so, alterations can take about two weeks, so you better go ahead and get started. Even though you probably think it’s too early to start thinking about prom, most manufacturers don’t have many dresses left. If you’re familiar with name brands such as Sherri Hill, you won’t have much luck unless you find the dress of your dreams already in your size.

Even though the dress is the most important part, there are other aspects to your attire. Don’t forget about matching jewelry, but most importantly, matching nails. If you’re a procrastinator like me, this will be the easiest part. You don’t want to get your nails done the day of, however, because this takes time away from your hair and makeup which will probably take all day. On the other hand, if you get them done too early, they might chip before the day of. The optimal time to get them done would have to be the Thursday or Friday before prom. Personally, I would opt for shellac so they’ll be able to withstand the entire day. However, if you’re looking to save money or just don’t care that much, go for regular polish. Unless you’re prepared for a month of horrible nails, try avoiding acrylic.

Finally, hair and makeup. If you have a stylist you really prefer, go ahead and schedule your appointment now. If not, you can put it off until about a month before. To help your stylist out, be prepared with several pictures of what you want and make sure to be descriptive. To help your hair last all night, don’t wash it the day of prom. Also, make sure you wear a shirt that can easily be removed without damaging your hair. When scheduling your appointment, keep in mind that the dance is downtown, your mom will want to take a lot more pictures than you intend, and the appointment could last anywhere from one to two hours. As for makeup, most people tend to do their own. If this is true, make sure you do it before you put on your dress. If you choose to get it done, places such as Sephora, Macy’s, Dillard’s and Mac offer paid appointments.

The most important thing to remember about prom is to have a good time. Even if your date is awkward or the dance is lame, just remember not to stress about the little things. Your hair will fall as the night progresses, and your makeup will fade, but no one’s paying much attention. Even though you’ll probably be sick of taking pictures by the end of the night, you’re too engrossed in being well-liked by your peers now to collect many other memories from your high school career. So while you may get annoyed by your obsessive mom now, you’ll end up appreciating her when you’re forty and looking back at your out-dated dress.

1 Comment

One Response to “Prom 2016”

1. Jonathan Gibson on February 2nd, 2016 12:41 pm

Wow, this is some fantastic writing! I never knew I was so clueless about prom!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Prom 2016