The student news site of Collierville High School

The Dragon Spirit

Cheap Valentine’s Date Ideas

Colorful Candy Conversation Hearts for Valentine's Day

Brent Hofacker

Brent Hofacker

Nicole Gentry, Staff Writer

Valentine’s day is just around the corner.  So if you still have no clue what to do with your significant other, you are kind of in trouble. By this point, all the good restaurants will be booked, and flower orders will be backed up. Not to mention if you are the stereotypical teenager who has no money, this could pose as a problem in itself. So here are some last- minute, inexpensive Valentine’s date ideas.

1. Rent a movie and order Chinese takeout.

Whether it be from Redbox or the library, renting a movie is pretty easy. I wouldn’t necessarily say Netflix because there are just so many options. While options are sometimes good, which do you want to spend more time doing: cuddling on the couch or arguing over which of the literally hundreds of thousands of movies to stream. And let’s not forget the arguably most important part, the food! Chinese takeout tends to be fairly inexpensive with a huge portion size. So if you are really stretched for cash, order one thing and share.

1. Cook a meal and watch TV.

Instead of ordering takeout, this one I feel is a little more personal. Find a recipe, run by Walmart together and either really impress each other with your cooking skills, or just have fun making a fool of yourself with the other person. It could be a simple recipe, or a complex one where everything could potentially go absolutely wrong; even if you have no cooking talent, I promise this will be fun.

1. Read each other’s favorite books.

This one is maybe for the couple who would rather read than watch a movie, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Pick out your favorite book and trade with your S.O. Books, especially favorites, are often very personal and by letting them read yours, you are opening up and allowing them to experience your favorite world. Hot beverage and snuggling are also encouraged.

1. Play video games and eat cookies.

Instead of a full meal, this skips to the most important part: dessert. Making something as “simple” as cookies with your S.O. can be both stressful and immensely fun. Not to mention, you get to eat warm, fresh cookies when you are done. And after, if your date is a gamer and you are not (or vise versa, of course) play a favorite game and either try your best to win, or like me, just try your hardest not to die within the first 3 minutes.

And a piece of advice, if you are single this Valentine’s Day and just want to snuggle up with candy, wait til Monday. Not only do we have the day off, but all the candy will be on clearance! No matter how you plan on spending the holiday or who you are spending it with, have a wonderful Valentine’s Day.