The student news site of Collierville High School

The Dragon Spirit

Senior Sports Leaders Pave the Road to Success

Nathan, Staffer

It’s that time of year again.  School stress is setting in and students are buckling down in an attempt to whether the storm of high school.  Fortunately, with the fall semester of school, comes fall sports! Some of the most intriguing sports this semester are girl’s soccer, volleyball, and football.  There is a great deal of excitement surrounding these sports, especially from the senior leaders on the squads.

On a soccer team with a plethora of experience, senior Hallie Scharf remarked on her hopes for the young season. “We are really giving it our all to make state and go as deep into the tournament as possible.” said Scharf. “Our mantra for the season is #onemoregame.  Because we have lost in the semifinals of the state tournament the last couple of years, we are keeping that phrase locked in our minds, to give us some inspiration the make that last push and finally play in that championship game.”  When asked about the intense rivalry shared between the Lady Dragons and the Houston Mustangs, Scharf continued to say that, “There is a good bit of disdain between the two teams, but I would have to say that there is a good amount of respect as well.  Those are the girls that we have grown up playing club soccer with, and even though we try as hard as we can to destroy them, it still is a healthy rivalry for both of the teams. It pushes us to be better.”  Currently, the Lady Dragons hold a 1-0 record, after defeating Saint Benedict 6-0.

Girl’s soccer is not the only ladies’ sport heating up this fall, however.  When asked about how she felt about heading into her final year on the CHS Volleyball team, senior Olivia Vires commented, “It makes me really sad knowing this will be my last season playing volleyball for Collierville, but I’m so excited for this season! [Specifically], We hope to make it to state, and of course beat Houston!”  The Lady Dragons Volleyball season kicked off this past weekend with their annual season opening tournament.

The largest spectator high school sport is catching stride as well.  Senior Wide Receiver, Ryan Dougherty remarked on how he hopes the 2016 Dragon football team will develop over the season, saying, “I think throughout the season we will grow closer and start to work together better as the season progresses.  We will start to put our differences aside and try to do our job.”  Part of the key to success for the team, Dougherty believes, is having leaders of the team step up and help develop younger players.  “We love to take the kids that will listen to us under our wing.” said Dougherty.  “Learning from the seniors is essential to development.  When we were sophomores, we learned from some Collierville greats such as Drew Van de Vurst, JV Springer and Alex Hicks.  Their advice really impacted my personal career down the road.”  After commenting, Dougherty helped lead the Dragons to a 45-0 victory over Saint Benedict.