The student news site of Collierville High School

The Dragon Spirit

Trump vs. Clinton: Dawn of Election Season

The third superhero movie involving politics...that ISN'T in theaters!

Unknown

Unknown

Trey Kelly, Staff Writer

America has entered a dark age simply entitled as election season and the occurrences of over 250 hours ago wrought terror and division upon our nation as on the grounds of the prestigious Hofstra University, two colossal beasts engaged in a duel of the wits to determine the future of our great nation and the winner was determined through a poll taken on the Internet. Of course the two beasts were Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton and Republican businessman Donald Trump and their great battle was the first presidential debate of the 2016 election season. For those who would rather not spend 95 minutes of their lives watching these two debate, here’s your highlight reel.

At exactly 8:00 PM CDT in Hempstead, New York, Lester Holt of NBC News announced the candidates and the debate began with a hot topic – what they foresaw for America’s future economic status. Trump took the floor and claimed the various jobs were being given to other people, most of which weren’t located in the U.S., while also proposing a decrease in taxes on major and minor companies from the current 35% to 15%, making this the largest cut in taxes for companies in America; Hillary then rebuked with calling Trump’s plan a “Trumped-up trickle-down” economic system which she concluded was not how to strengthen the current government. Trump inquired why his opponent had 30 years of political experience and yet had done nothing to improve the current economic status without regards to his lack of improvement as well. The debate over the economic future of America continued until Clinton brought up Trump’s belief that climate change was a simple hoax created by the Chinese. The two then began interrupting Lester Holt’s desire to switch the topic with disagreements over Hillary’s deleted emails and Trump’s tax returns being released publicly. 

At long last the next topic was revealed and presented: the topic of relations among different races in the United States. Clinton lead the debate with the idea that racism is still prominent in the States. Trump retaliated with the topic of law and order in order to quell negative relations.The race relation debate reached its peak when Hillary and Trump went back and forth about Obama’s legitimacy as a president and as it slowed to a crawl, the debate seemed tense until the two were asked how they would feel about the outcome of their votes. Trump expressed his desire to make America great again and stated if Hillary won, he would fully support her. Hillary concluded by saying the outcome was entirely up to the people and come November, the fate of America would be in the hands of its citizens.

As the debate ended, voters quickly loaded the polls on various news sites on their electronic devices and voted on who they thought won. Trump lost to Hillary in popularity through a very tight debate and an epic struggle on the Internet. Despite everything presented here, there’s still more to read and those who want to make their own choice on who they support can find a transcript at this link.