The student news site of Collierville High School

The Dragon Spirit

Las Tortugas: Deli Mexicana

Jake Seiter, Staff Writer

Sunday I went to a little restaurant off of Germantown Pkwy known as Las Tortugas. In Memphis normally you’re hard pressed to find an authentic Mexican restaurant but, people told me Las Tortugas was the place to go. It was hard to find at first, being a small restaurant at the end of an outlet, but I found it in the end. As soon as I walked in the smell hit me, the aroma was amazing as I smell everything from the fresh flauta’s (taquitos) being rolled to the fruity smell of fresh juice being squeezed on spot. Honestly I had no clue what to expect, but after just walking in I knew i was in for a  treat. The way this restaurant works is you walk up to the cashier and look at the menu there. Normally the cashier can translate what everything means since this restaurant isn’t americanized. After you order then you sit and wait for your number to be called to come up and grab your food. I ordered the De Huevo con Chorizo, which is egg with imported Chorizo pork sausage. Also I ordered the cantaloupe juice as my drink. The first to arrive was my drink which, I kid you not, tasted just like cantaloupe was just cut and thrown into the drink. It was a pleasant experience, but since there was no sugar or anything added it was weird. Next to arrive was my food and let me tell you it looked good. What Las Tortugas does is they hollow out a bread loaf and fill it with the contents you ordered, so since I ordered the De Huevo con Chorizo I got egg and sausage in mine. It was, yet again, another weird experience but, it was a delicious sandwich. Overall I would 100% recommend Las Tortugas Deli Mexicana rating it a 10/10. If you’re ever craving Mexican food I suggest Las Tortugas!