The student news site of Collierville High School

The Dragon Spirit

The 2017 Fantasy Football League’s Top Player Choices

Moira Charnot, Staff Writer

Fall has come and with it comes the return of football season. Participants in the 2017 Fantasy League are rushing to get the best picks for their fantasy teams before October 1st, the last day for the live draft, hits. Since top players like Peyton Manning and Jay Cutler have retired, everyone wants to select rookie players who could help their team win their fantasy league.

The top three quarterbacks drafted during the NFL Draft in April consisted of Mitch Trubisky, from the Chicago Bears; Pat Mahomes, from the Kansas City Chiefs; and DeShaun Watson, from the Houston Texans. However, the rookie quarterback that should be on your fantasy roster is DeShone Kizer, who was recently drafted to the Cleveland Browns and was given the starting nod. He would be more than capable as a backup quarterback on your team due to his improvements to the Browns’ offense.

This year’s renowned class of running backs brims with players who could lead your team to victory. Many players such as Leonard Fournette, from the Jacksonville Jaguars, or Dalvin Cook, from the Minnesota Vikings, are immediate starters for your league. Since Spencer Ware of the Kansas City Chiefs has been put out of the season due to injuries to his right knee, Chiefs newcomer Kareem Hunt is an unexpected star for fans to watch out for as the lead force behind a strong offensive line. Another great addition to your fantasy team would be Christian McCaffrey, son of former Denver Broncos player Ed McCaffrey, who will be playing for the Carolina Panthers with Cam Newton leading the team.

It will take some time for this year’s wide receivers to become fantasy regulars, as the first round draft picks of this year were injured and are only now returning to the game. Among those players were Corey Davis of the Tennessee Titans, the Los Angeles Chargers’ Mike Williams, and John Ross from the Cincinnati Bengals; it’s probably best to look for wide receivers elsewhere. The best bets right now would be on Zay Jones from the Buffalo Bills and Chris Goodwin from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Currently, it appears that both of those players will receive consistent playing time on offense and Chris Goodwin will be playing with potential MVP Jameis Winston on the Buccaneers.