The Dragon Spirit

CHS’s Cheer Team To Compete In TSSAA State Competition

Moira Charnot, Staff Writer

On the 28th of October, Collierville High School’s varsity cheer team participated in the Mid-South Regional Cheer Competition and took home a victory against Houston High School for the ‘super varsity’ cheer division of around 30 members. Since they’ve won, they will also be moving on in the TSSAA State Competition on Saturday, November 11.

But the state competition won’t be the last competition our Dragons will be attending- at the Mid-South Regional Competition, they won their bid into UCA National Competition that takes place between February 10-11, in Orlando, Florida.

However, during the week leading up to the regional competition, several of the girls on the cheer team had caught the flu, and the Dragons had to compete with many of their members missing.

“We were missing pretty much half of the team during regionals, so it’s great that we could still win,” said senior main base cheerleader Abby Banks.

According to Kristy Krotzer, one of the cheer team’s sponsors, many of the girls on the team have still been sick, but the girls have been looking good and working hard during their practices nonetheless.

“We’re hoping everyone will be healthy and ready to do more difficult routines in time for the state competition by now,” Krotzer said. “We’re hoping for good results on Saturday.”